A Christmas Carol Study Guide for GCSE English Literature
A Christmas Carol – the enduring tale of transformation, redemption and the power of goodwill that students can enjoy all year round and for years to come! This Study Guide, packed with clear and accessible notes, will help your class take to the streets of Victorian London, to realise how Dickens was able to capture the revival of this important public holiday in his ever-popular text.
The activities in the resource are excellent for both revision and classroom activities. They are effective in allowing students to discover the answers [and] the exam questions are very useful in terms of stimulus material
- Walkthrough – Build understanding of the chosen text with insightful and relevant commentary and analysis. All chapters are concisely summarised, then examined in detail.
- Whole-text Analysis – Explores: Characterisation • Relationships • Setting • Themes • Ideas and Messages • Language • Form • Structure • Context
- Student-friendly plot summary
- Key term glossary
- Original illustrations
- Further reading
- ‘Context’ boxes
Woven into the analysis throughout you will find:
- Discussion prompts to encourage debate and individual interpretation
- Active learning tasks to deepen understanding
- Essay tips and questions for excellent exam practice
- Key term definitions to ensure students grasp difficult concepts
Includes Suggested answers are provided for all questions and activities.
What do teachers say about this resource? (8547)
A really good overview of the text... The latter half of the resource contains some excellent information regarding the recurring motifs and symbols... The activities in the resource are excellent for both revision and classroom activities. They are effective in allowing students to discover the answers for themselves rather than being told the answers... The exam questions are very useful in terms of stimulus material... The integrated quotations in the summaries are very nice to see! It's a constant battle to get kids to do this, so it models good practice.
It has educational value as it explains various aspects of the texts in a clear and accessible manner. The second half of the pack is good as it looks at key aspects of the text such as characters and themes – the key info needed for the exam... I also like the inclusion of suggested answers.