Journey’s End Study Guide for CCEA GCSE
Realise the horror and futility of war with R C Sherriff’s claustrophobic and tense depiction of the fears, tensions and friendships of five British Army infantry officers. Illuminate the events of the play with detailed character studies, student-friendly analysis, and thought-provoking activities sure to have your students contemplating the immense hardships placed on the young officers and working-class soldiers of the First World War.
- Walkthrough – Build understanding with insightful and relevant analysis for each act.
- Whole-text Analysis – Explores: characterisation • themes • symbolism • motifs • language • structure • form
- Revision and exam preparation – Revise the key aspects of the play through whole-text exercises, including writing-in-role, re-creative writing exercises. Plus! PEE guidance and sample exam questions to practise exam technique.
Woven into the analysis throughout you will find:
- key quotations with analysis to encourage close reading skills
- engaging questions to consolidate understanding and facilitate independent learning