An Inspector Calls: Study Guide
for Pearson Edexcel International GCSE English Literature
A scalding critique of the hypocrisies of English society and a strong expression of Priestley's socialist principles, An Inspector Calls – detective mystery turned morality play – has been a mainstay of Pearson Edexcel International GCSE specification. Guide students through the quarrelsome night in 1912 with comprehensive notes and tasks that are both ‘fresh and enjoyable for teachers that have taught the text many times, and will help bring it alive for students as well.’ N Fry, English Teacher and Independent Reviewer
- Walkthrough – Builds understanding of the chosen text with insightful and relevant commentary and analysis. All scenes are concisely summarised, then examined in detail.
- Whole-text Analysis – Explores: Characterisation • Relationships • Setting • Themes • Ideas and Messages • Language • Form • Structure • Context
A very comprehensive resource... that provides some welcome additions to the study guides I have already seen on the market
- Student-friendly plot summary
- Key term glossary
- Further reading
- Original illustrations
Woven into the analysis throughout you will find:
- Discussion prompts to encourage debate and individual interpretation
- Active learning tasks to deepen understanding
- Essay tips and questions for excellent exam practice
- Key term definitions to ensure students grasp difficult concepts
Suggested answers are provided for questions and activities.