The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde: GCSE Study Guide
Far beyond the simple notions of split personality, Stevenson’s exploration of class systems, religion, science, societal expectations and human nature in Victorian England makes this gripping novella relevant to each and every one of us, and thus a fascinating text to teach. This comprehensive guide offers targeted, detailed notes to help students get to know the text, ensuring that they feel confident analysing key themes, characters and contexts and encouraging them to explore the text in new ways prior to the exam.
- Walkthrough – Build understanding of the chosen text with insightful and relevant commentary and analysis. All chapters are concisely summarised, then examined in detail.
- Whole-text Analysis – Explores: Characterisation • Relationships • Setting • Themes • Ideas and Messages • Language • Form • Structure • Context
- Student-friendly plot summary
- Key term glossary
- Further reading
- Original illustrations
Woven into the analysis throughout you will find:
- Discussion prompts to encourage debate and individual interpretation
- Active learning tasks to deepen understanding
- Essay tips and questions for excellent exam practice
- Key term definitions and ‘Did you know?’ boxes to ensure students grasp difficult concepts
Suggested answers are provided for questions and activities.
The perfect companion to the Activity Pack for this text.