The War of the Worlds GCSE Study Guide
The War of the Worlds – the ever-popular sci-fi story which asks pertinent questions about science, power and the nature of empire. Discover how Victorian London deals with disaster to ‘overcome the monster’ with targeted, detailed notes and analysis to support students through this genre-defining novel.
- Walkthrough – Build understanding of the chosen text with insightful and relevant commentary and analysis. All chapters are concisely summarised, then examined in detail.
- Whole-text Analysis – Explores: Characterisation • Relationships • Setting • Themes • Ideas and Messages • Language • Form • Structure • Context
- Student-friendly plot summary
- Key term glossary
- Further reading
- Original illustrations
Woven into the analysis throughout you will find:
- Discussion prompts to encourage debate and individual interpretation
- Active learning tasks to deepen understanding
- Essay tips and questions for excellent exam practice
- Key term definitions to ensure students grasp difficult concepts
Suggested answers are provided for questions and activities.
|What do teachers have to say about this resource? (7959)|
|'Well structured and useful for students to use as revision. The summary and analysis comes first which is useful and on each chapter summary there are key words, active learning activities and practice exam questions. The sections on relationships between characters and settings were also very useful considering aspects of the novel which might not be too obvious for many readers... The glossary at the back was useful.' R Smart, Teacher and Independent Reviewer|