The Merchant of Venice: Study Guide for GCSE (first teaching 2015)
One of Shakespeare's most divisive plays, The Merchant of Venice offers plenty of intrigue: controversial themes, fantastic speeches, cross-dressing, and of course the much-debated character of Shylock. Unpack every scene and clarify essential context with this comprehensive resource offering targeted, detailed notes and analysis to lead students through the play.
- Walkthrough – Build understanding of the chosen text with insightful and relevant commentary and analysis. All scenes are concisely summarised, then examined in detail.
- Whole-text Analysis – Explores: Characterisation • Relationships • Setting • Themes • Ideas and Messages • Language • Form • Structure • Context
- Student-friendly plot summary
- Key term glossary
- Further reading
- Original illustrations
Woven into the analysis throughout you will find:
- Discussion prompts to encourage debate and individual interpretation
- Active learning tasks to deepen understanding
- Essay questions for excellent exam practice
- Key term definitions to ensure students grasp difficult concepts
Suggested answers are provided for questions and activities.
The perfect companion to the Activity Pack for this text.