Food and Nutrition Educational Writer - summer internship
Pay from £20,828 per annum pro-rata
Paid Internship of 8–12 weeks between June and September 2022, based in our office in Bristol.
This is an opportunity for students or graduates to share their knowledge and enthusiasm for Food Preparation and Nutrition and Hospitality and Catering through a paid position writing and contributing to educational resources for GCSE and Key Stage 3 and vocational qualifications.
What you will get out of this role:
- Experience in publishing and education sectors
- Experience working alongside an experienced Education Editor supporting real publications
- Develop research and planning skills to a specific project brief
- Your own published material that will help future learners succeed in their qualifications
- Familiarisation of teaching requirements set by examination boards
- Particularly good experience for those preparing to go into teaching – understanding how to structure lessons, communicate theory to students of different ages/abilities, and cover unit specifications
- Opportunity to develop your own resource ideas
What we’re looking for:
- Detailed, wide-ranging and accurate knowledge of food preparation and nutrition
- Ability to adapt and improve your method of working so that any mistakes identified are not repeated!
- Ability to communicate effectively, concisely – to write with flair and enthusiasm for your subject!
The ideal candidate will be able to apply creative strategies for teachers, taking the content students need to learn and presenting it in an accessible and digestible way. The probation period for this role is three months.
Skills & Qualifications
Essential Skills and Experience
- A strong interest in the subject area (including up-to-date knowledge of any recent developments), backed up with an excellent academic record
- Strong research and analysis skills; attention to detail
- Ability to work independently and efficiently, and to communicate ideas and knowledge with clarity
- Write in a creative, yet clear and coherent style
Minimum Qualification Level Required
- Relevant degree (Predicted 2:1 or higher)
- Strong A Levels (or equivalent qualification) including a Grade A in Biology or another relevant subject
Additional Desirable Requirements
- PGCE and/or teaching experience
- Experience of writing in a professional context, e.g. freelance educational writing
Apply via email to Adam Howells at firstname.lastname@example.org with:
- CV which must include the modules you have studied at degree level and all GCSE/A Level etc. qualifications & grades
- Letter of Application including:
- which job you are applying for and where you first saw it advertised
- a short paragraph about your current circumstances and why you are applying for this opportunity
- when you would be available to start and your medium term plans
- what in the job description specifically appeals to you
- how you feel your skills or aspirations are met within this role
If relevant, let us know if there is anything you would like to know in advance of a possible interview. Note that the next stage in the application will involve a short writing task.
Due to the high volume of applicants, we regret that we will only be able to contact successful candidates.