The Young Philosopher Course
A great resource that brings Philosophy alive to KS3 pupils!C Gibbs, RE Teacher & Independent Reviewer
A complete programme for an exciting exploration of philosophical issues. Encourages and enables your students to think about and discuss key issues – from moral dilemmas to the existence of God.
- Vol. 1: Designed for Year 7 & 8 pupils, but suitable for all ages – from Year 6 upwards
- Vol. 2: Designed for late KS3 to KS4 – expands students horizons beyond RS GCSE content
- Accessible for all abilities – all will benefit by developing thinking skills
- Timetable it using PSHE, tutorial or RE time, put on as a lunchtime or afterschool Philosophy Club, or an enrichment programme for the Gifted and Talented
Expertly designed lessons are open enough to allow the discussion to come alive, but structured enough that the non-specialist will always have direction.
- Teacher’s notes explain the background to the topic – great for non-specialists
- Every 50-minute lesson plan is clearly laid out with actions points, timings and ‘Teacher Tips’
- Student activity workbook acts as a record for pupils to take away
- Supporting PowerPoint presentations
The course's structure is its great strength… particularly the clear and well-timed lesson plans…S Shieber, Philosophy Teacher & Independent Reviewer
all the philosophy in it is spot on.
Vol. 1: 12-Lesson Programme:
Structured into 3 themes: Morality, Knowledge & Religion
Vol. 2: 12-Lesson Programme:
Structured into 3 themes: Mind, Political Philosophy & Religion; plus final ‘Island Project’ brings the themes together.
Tried and Tested!Author
Students of all abilities will benefit from engaging with the issues raised. They will be encouraged to be free and independent thinkers and to develop their natural critical thinking skills in keeping with the real meaning of education: to draw out, rather than to fill up the mind. There is growing evidence that such a programme results in a higher IQ. More than this pupils enjoy thinking through and discussing these issues. I have taught it and it works.