Senior PHP Developer (Permanent) £35,000-£55,000pa Bristol UK
Exciting opportunity to be a senior PHP programmer in a small team working directly with the key decision makers across a range of projects, supporting an interesting business. We have a motivated team who are always appreciative when their problems are solved and when new ideas are implemented. You will find the work varied, challenging and rewarding. Tasks include development on our exciting online learning system, various websites, multiple mini-projects, adding new features to existing systems, and fixing bugs that have come to light.
The key responsibilities of a Senior PHP Developer include:
- Key product development of ZigZag’s industry leading eRevision Platform.
- Creating robust bespoke systems to increase efficiency across the business.
- Creating intuitive and fast user interfaces – for both internal staff and external customers.
- Balancing the feedback of users with managerial requirements, managing workload to ensure an appropriate balance between time, quality and budget, alongside involvement in training or supporting junior programmer(s).
Most of our internal and external sites are written in PHP OOP, some using the CodeIgniter MVC framework and some making use of React and GraphQL. We use GitLab. We have a number of websites, mostly run on Linux in Docker containers. We have some legacy code, mostly in PHP, a little in ASP, run on a Windows server, which is gradually being rewritten into our new systems.
ZigZag Education is a creative publisher of teaching resources actively working with thousands of teachers, examiners and educational specialists to produce resources that support the new UK specifications. We specifically aim for the highest standards of excellence and offer an informal and relaxed but focussed working environment with an opportunity to increase working from home over time. The company has a dedicated socials team, offers flexitime (core hours 10-4), biscuits/fruit; cycle to work scheme; and has an impressive 92% retention rate, plus 6 monthly salary reviews.
eRevision with its unique 3-try system and other unique educational leading pedagogy is proving popular and is already used in more than 1000 schools. A recent successful government grant will see an acceleration of some exciting new ideas for eRevision
We apply Agile principles including Mini-Scrums for organising Sprints and Kanban using a GitLab board.
The PersonThe key skills and qualities of the Senior PHP Developer:
- Very capable graduate with a Computing/Programming-related degree or equivalent.
- Write logical, well-commented code.
- 3-10 years' directly relevant industry programming experience since graduation including applying modern PHP ("OOP" or "PHP 7") in a medium/large project.
- Experience working with Git/GitLab, an MVC framework such as CodeIgniter, the bootstrap framework, significant experience with MySQL, experience of React.
- Strong communication skills and a good level of English Language.
- Desirable attributes include: experience of leading a team with decision making and reporting to senior management, and experience of training other programmers, peer reviewing and writing briefs.
Additional Desirable Attributes
- GCSE Maths grade A/A*
- A Level grade A or B in Computing or a scientific/technical subject such as Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Economics or Latin
If you are interested in working for us but do not meet the application requirements, please see the Junior PHP Developer role.
Starting pay dependent on amount of formal training, relevant experience of programming and leading a team.
Apply via email to Mrs Glynda Glasner at firstname.lastname@example.org with your CV and Letter of application. We would like to know:
- which job you are applying for and where you first saw it advertised
- your IT skills and all GCSE/A Level, etc. qualifications and all grades
- your current circumstances, why you are applying for this job, and availability
- your aspirations, what about this job specifically appeals to you and your medium-term plans
- details of your PHP experience and projects you have worked on individually and as part of a team
- your salary expectation, together with your current responsibilities and salary
Successful applicants will be invited to a 4-hour interview process which will include a written test and a set of moderately challenging practical PHP programming tasks.
Please let us know if there is anything you would like to know in advance of a possible application. We can also arrange for you to visit the offices to have a look around if you wish.