Junior PHP Developer (£23,000–£33,000 per annum) 18-month contract
Are you an enthusiastic PHP web developer ready to move on to your next role? This is an exciting opportunity to be a programmer in a small team working directly with the business decision maker across a range of projects, supporting an interesting business. We have a motivated team who are very grateful when our problems are solved and our new ideas are implemented. You will find the work varied, challenging and rewarding - and always appreciated by the rest of the team! Tasks include the occasional large project, multiple mini-projects, adding new features to existing systems, and fixing bugs that have come to light.
You will be one of two or three coders working under the direction of the Commissioning Editor and Head of Business Support.
Most of our internal and external sites are written in PHP OOP, some using the CodeIgniter MVC framework and some making use of React and GraphQL. We use GitLab. We have a number of websites, mostly run on Linux in Docker containers. We have some legacy code, mostly in PHP, a little in ASP, run on a Windows server, which is gradually being rewritten into our new systems.
We are looking for a dependable PHP developer, ideally with some experience, to write logical, well-commented code and to build on and improve existing systems. You will:
- Create robust bespoke systems to increase efficiency in the business.
- Create intuitive and fast user interfaces – for both internal staff and external customers.
- Balance the feedback of users with the requirements of your manager, and manage your workload to ensure an appropriate balance between time, quality and budget.
You must also be willing to muck in with technical support although this isn't the main focus of the role.
We have recently introduced Agile principles including Mini-Scrums for organising Sprints and Kanban using a GitLab board.
Minimum Application Requirement
- PHP programmer - either a very capable programming graduate with a placement year programing in PHP plus summer holiday programming projects or a mid-level developer with a minimum of 3 years' relevant industry experience including applying modern PHP ("OOP" or "PHP 7") in a medium/large project.
- Experience working with Git/GitLab, an MVC framework such as CodeIgniter, the bootstrap framework, significant experience with SQL.
- Good level of English Language.
Additional Desirable Attributes
- Strong communication skills
- GCSE Maths grade B (grade 7)
- A Level grade A or B in Computing or a scientific/technical subject such as Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Economics or Latin
- Computing/Programming-related degree or equivalent
- Higher level of English Language
- 8 years' full-time experience working mainly on PHP projects
Starting pay is £23k to £33k depending on amount of formal training and relevant experience. There is the strong likelihood of further contracts being offered.
We are also looking for a Senior PHP Developer and a student or graduate for a Computer Science (Programming) Placement Year (paid).
Apply via email to Mrs Glynda Glasner at firstname.lastname@example.org with your CV and Letter of application. We would like to know:
- which job you are applying for and where you first saw it advertised
- your IT skills and all GCSE/A Level, etc. qualifications and all grades
- your current circumstances, why you are applying for this job, and availability
- your aspirations, what about this job specifically appeals to you and your medium-term plans
- details of your PHP experience and projects you have worked on individually and as part of a team
- your salary expectation, together with your current responsibilities and salary
Successful applicants will be invited to a 4-hour interview process which will include a written test and a set of challenging practical PHP programming tasks.
Please let us know if there is anything you would like to know in advance of a possible interview.