Physical Education / Sports Science Educational Writer
Pay from £19,272 to £20,150 per annum pro-rata (depending on qualifications and experience)*
Full-time, fixed-term 6-month contract based in our office in Bristol starting ASAP with a strong likelihood of further work for the best writers
This is a graduate opportunity to share your knowledge and enthusiasm for Physical Education and Sport Science through a paid position writing and contributing to educational resources for A Level PE, GCSE PE and BTEC Sport.
What you will get out of this role:
- Experience in publishing and education sectors
- Experience working alongside an experienced Education Editor supporting real publications
- Develop research and planning skills to a specific project brief
- Your own published material that will help future learners succeed in their qualifications
- Familiarisation of teaching requirements set by examination boards
- Particularly good experience for those preparing to go into teaching – understanding how to structure lessons, communicate theory to students of different ages/abilities, and cover unit specifications
- Opportunity to develop your own resource ideas
What we’re looking for:
- Detailed, wide-ranging and accurate knowledge of Sports Science / Physical Education
- Ability to adapt and improve your method of working so that any mistakes identified are not repeated!
- Ability to communicate effectively, concisely – to write with flair and enthusiasm for your subject!
The ideal candidate will be able to apply creative strategies for teachers, taking the content students need to learn and presenting it in an accessible and digestible way. The probation period for this role is three months.
*To qualify for the higher salary rate you must have 3A*s at A Level and a 1st class degree in the subject, or a completed PGCE, or at least a year’s full-time experience writing similar educational materials.
Skills & Qualifications
Essential Skills and Experience
- A strong interest in the subject area (including up-to-date knowledge of any recent developments), backed up with an excellent academic record
- Strong research and analysis skills; attention to detail
- Ability to work independently and efficiently, and to communicate ideas and knowledge with clarity
- Write in a creative, yet clear and coherent style
Minimum Qualification Level Required
- Relevant degree (2:1 or higher)
- Strong A Levels including a Grade A in PE or related A Level (or equivalent qualification)
Additional Desirable Requirements
- PGCE and/or teaching experience
- Experience of writing in a professional context, e.g. freelance educational writing
Apply via email to Adam Howells at firstname.lastname@example.org with:
- CV which must include the modules you have studied at degree level and all GCSE/A Level etc. qualifications & grades
- Letter of Application including:
- which job you are applying for and where you first saw it advertised
- a short paragraph about your current circumstances and why you are applying for this opportunity
- when you would be available to start and your medium term plans
- what in the job description specifically appeals to you
- How you feel your skills or aspirations are met within this role
If relevant, let us know if there is anything you would like to know in advance of a possible interview. Note that the next stage in the application will involve a short writing task.
We reserve the right to view LinkedIn or other public social media profiles of interview candidates.