Assistant Educational Editor for ICT and Computing £20k-£23k
Initial 1-year contract, full-time role, training provided
Exciting opportunity at a successful secondary educational publisher where you will be involved in the publication of new teaching resources from conception to distribution. A large part of the role is prioritising, coordinating and working with authors under the supervision of the Educational Editor. The role is essentially split into two halves, but will vary during training phases etc., with more time spent on the writing role in the initial phase:
- Part of your time will be spent managing and quality-checking individual projects for the Educational Editor, including:
- Assessing samples and drafts for quality and matching to syllabus, identifying copyright issues and picture research (training is provided)
- Undertaking technical checking including working through questions and activities.
- Communicating feedback to authors and managing the peer review and feedback loop with author until final draft agreed
- Post-publication: appropriately responding to customer queries/feedback, making improvements with authors, and developing second editions of original resources.
- The rest of your time will be spent writing resources, where you will achieve:
- Published material that will help future learners succeed in their qualifications
- Develop research and planning skills to a specific project brief
- Develop your teaching skills by gaining practice in structuring lessons, communicating theory to students, and covering unit specifications
- Opportunity to develop own ideas for resources and activities
Initially a 1-year contract is on offer, with the likelyhood of an extension or permanent contract. There may also be opportunities for writing advertising copy, compilation and design of marketing leaflets, analysing previous marketing results and planning marketing strategies with the Educational Editor and Commissioning Editor. Starting pay depends on qualifications and experience.
As an education publisher we require a person with a very strong academic background. The ideal candidate will have demonstrated this through excellent GCSEs, A Levels and a degree. You are required to complete a six-month probationary period.
Skills and Qualifications
Essential Skills and Experience Required
- Precise, up to date knowledge of ICT theory and practice, including applications of ICT and programming.
- Strong numeracy and a logical mind
- Ability to adapt and improve your method of working so that any mistakes identified are not repeated!
- Ability to communicate effectively, concisely and with enthusiasm for your subject!
Minimum Application Requirements
- GCSE Maths and English grade A or A* (or equivalent)
- and strong A Level or BTEC results including grade A/A*/Distinction in ICT or Computing
- and Computing or technical ICT degree or equivalent
- and ability to understand and check technical questions at GCSE and A Level
Additional Desirable Requirements
- 2+ years' experience in full-time employment
- Experience of teaching ICT/Computing
Even without teaching experience, the ideal candidate will be able to apply creative strategies for teachers, taking the content students need to learn and presenting it in an accessible and digestible way.
There may be opportunities for training and experience in other related areas of publishing such as document editing (formatting), marketing copy and design,other subject areas and project management.
Apply via email to Helen Mansley at Vacancies@zigzageducation.co.uk with:
- CV including the modules you have studied at degree level and all GCSE/A Level etc. qualifications & grades
- Letter of Application including:
- a short paragraph about your current circumstances and why you are applying for this internship
- when you would be available to start and your medium term plans
- what in the job description specifically appeals to you
- you feel your skills or aspirations are met within this job
- your salary expectation, together with your current responsibilities and salary
If relevant, let us know if there is anything you would like to know in advance of a possible interview. Note that the next stage in the application will involve a short writing task.
We reserve the right to view LinkedIn or other public social media profiles of interview candidates.