GEO4B Resource Packs for Extra Practice
Many geography departments entered their students for the January sitting of the GEO4B exam, with the back-up plan of entering at least some students for the summer exam as a resit. With that option gone, how are you preparing your students for this challenging exam, to help them to ace it first time?
One superb way of doing this is to make use of past Advance Information Booklets, and do a complete mock exam (see our suggested timeline below). Choose an AIB that links in with the topics your students are studying for GEOG3. For example, the Brazil AIB touched on ‘Weather and Climate’ and ‘Contemporary Conflicts and Challenges’, and the Christchurch Earthquake pack was an excellent case study for ‘Plate Tectonics and Associated Hazards’.
Order your A Level AQA GEO4B Resource Pack now! Written specifically for the Advance Information on previous GEO4B topics. Also available are resources for the upcoming GEO4B exam.
- Guide students through the pre-release with Thorough Workbook provided in A4 & A5 booklet
- Revise related key skills with Skills PowerPoints!
- Set the issue in context with Background Material
- Stretch and challenge A* students with Discussion Springboards
- Exam practice paper with mark scheme
Provides students and teachers alike with a structure to work through, and prepares your students for the real exam before the new AIB comes out.
Great resources that assist students in thinking synoptically… Invaluable to help focus teaching in a limited amount of time..." L Keeley, Head of Geography and Independent Reviewer
- Pre-order the 2017 Pre-release Resource Pack and register your email address for the early 'Getting to Know' material.
- Order your chosen previous year resource for immediate dispatch (see right).
- January: Issue AIB (from AQA) from a previous year along with the corresponding Pre-Release Resource Pack from ZigZag Education. Tell students that we will study this booklet in preparation for a mock exam in February.
- January–February: Dedicate some class time to studying aspects of the booklet, using the student workbook, PowerPoints and activities in the ZigZag Resource Pack to structure the work. Emphasise to students that this work will not be ‘wasted’ – it both covers their GEOG3 topics and prepares them for the real AIB in March.
- Last week before February half term holiday: Give students the final tasks in the Pre-Release Resource Pack. Tell them to revise for a mock exam that they will sit next half term.
- February half term: Set a mock paper in exam conditions, using one of the two papers provided in the ZigZag Resource Pack, or the actual past paper from AQA. Have the students mark each other’s work and discuss and reflect on common errors and what they have learnt. Encourage students to share pre-release techniques.
- 22nd March 2017: Issue the real AIB (from AQA) to your confident and well-prepared students. Perhaps compare it with the one they have already studied, highlighting similarities and differences.
- w/c 27th March 2017: Issue the ‘Getting to Know…’ initial activities as a homework for Easter.
- 24th April 2017: Straight after Easter, get to work on the AIB properly with the Pre-Release Resource Pack from ZigZag Education (dispatch commencing on 21st April).
Excellent for the student and the teacher. There is only a short time before this exam and the quick turn round on producing it really is superb… Suzanne Knights, Geography Teacher and Independent Reviewer