Comedy Poetry Anthology: Comprehensive Guide AQA B
A comprehensive guide to the Aspects of Comedy: Poetry Anthology for AS and A Level AQA English Literature B.
Expertly designed to support and enhance students’ study of the genre of comedy by exploring the various themes, motifs and poetic techniques used in these seven carefully selected works.
Guide your students towards writing top-graded essays through the key stages of poem analysis:
- Introduction to the anthology, including a brief history of poetic comedy and biographical notes for each poet.
- Walk-through Poem-by-poem overview and thorough analysis walks students through each poem. ✓ All analysis referenced to AOs to link learning directly to the exam.
- Drawing it all together In-depth discussion of the whole anthology focuses on characterisation, form and structure, themes, attitude and values, use of language, literary approaches and critical reception.
- Indicative content Easy marking with suggested content for all tasks.
- ‘The Flea’ - John Donne
- ‘A Satirical Elegy on the Death of a Late Famous General’ – Jonathan Swift
- ‘Tam O’Shanter’ – Robert Burns
- ‘Sunny Prestatyn’ – Philip Larkin
- ‘Not my Best Side’ – U.A. Fanthorpe
- ‘My Rival’s House’ – Liz Lochhead
- ‘Mrs Sisyphus’ – Carol Ann Duffy
- A Satirical Elegy on the Death of a Late Famous General by Jonathan Swift
- AQA B Poetry Anthology
- Comprehensive Guide
- Mrs Sisyphus by Carol Ann Duffy
- My Rival’s House by Liz Lochhead
- Not my Best Side by U.A. Fanthorpe
- Poetry Companion
- Sunny Prestatyn by Philip Larkin
- Tam O’Shanter by Robert Burns
- The Flea by John Donne