The Tempest: Study Guide for GCSE English Literature
On the surface, The Tempest is a story of revenge, but underneath it is a tale of atonement, forgiveness and reconciliation. Explore Shakespeare’s final masterpiece, its complex characters and ever-relevant themes, with detailed notes, essential quotations and varied activities, sure to expand and develop your students' understanding.
Extremely comprehensive... I really liked the variety of tasks, the active learning... and the discussion-/thought-provoking questions.
- Walkthrough – Build understanding of the chosen text with insightful and relevant commentary and analysis. All scenes are concisely summarised, then examined in detail.
- Whole-text Analysis – Explores: Characterisation • Relationships • Setting • Themes • Ideas and Messages • Language • Form • Structure • Context
- Student-friendly plot summary
- Key term glossary
- Further reading
- Original illustrations
Woven into the analysis throughout you will find:
- Discussion prompts to encourage debate and individual interpretation
- Active learning tasks to deepen understanding
- Extended essay questions for excellent exam practice
- Key term definitions to ensure students grasp difficult concepts
Suggested answers are provided for questions and activities.
What do teachers say about this resource? (8355)
Extremely comprehensive... Offers very useful insights into the theoretical interpretations (postcolonial, psychoanalytical, etc.)... The level of detail for students is extraordinary... I really liked the variety of tasks, the active learning... and the discussion-/thought-provoking questions... The activities and content are brilliant... This would be an excellent revision guide to hand to a top set English class... The language/stagecraft analysis is very good as this is the bit that the pupils seem to happily gloss over.