Python Exercises for KS4 Computer Science
10 engaging exercises featuring original skeleton code, giving students practice in two core skills: ❶ debugging programs to make them work as intended and ❷ developing programs further by modifying their functionality.
A carefully selected range of themes (including encryption, string manipulation, validation, 2D arrays and file handling) ensures that the exercises complement teaching of the new GCSE (9–1) Computer Science specifications superbly.
For each exercise:
- Scenario – including introduction and skeleton code
- Part A – combines debugging tasks with questions testing understanding students’ understanding of the code
- Part B – modification tasks of progressive difficulty
Includes answers for all questions and tasks – with working Python v3 scripts on CD.
- Error guide – 14 of the most common syntax and logic errors in Python are explained (with suggested fixes)
- Cheat sheet revealing the correct Python syntax (a useful reference, particularly for lower-ability)
- Skills mapping helps you to target specific programming techniques
"Gives valuable practice in debugging programs, arguably the most important independent programming skill that students need to develop – perfect preparation for their NEAs… This is a resource I’m looking forward to using, the overall idea, style and structure are excellent.” S Forsyth, Computing teacher & Independent Reviewer