The Merchant of Venice: Study Guide for GCSE (first teaching 2015)
One of Shakespeare's most divisive plays, The Merchant of Venice offers plenty of intrigue: controversial themes, fantastic speeches, cross-dressing, and of course the much-debated character of Shylock. Unpack every scene and clarify essential context with this comprehensive resource offering targeted, detailed notes and analysis to lead students through the play.
It is very detailed and informative and would certainly ensure pupils understood the play
- Walkthrough – Build understanding of the chosen text with insightful and relevant commentary and analysis. All scenes are concisely summarised, then examined in detail.
- Whole-text Analysis – Explores: Characterisation • Relationships • Setting • Themes • Ideas and Messages • Language • Form • Structure • Context
- Student-friendly plot summary
- Key term glossary
- Further reading
- Original illustrations
Woven into the analysis throughout you will find:
- Discussion prompts to encourage debate and individual interpretation
- Active learning tasks to deepen understanding
- Key term definitions to ensure students grasp difficult concepts
Suggested answers are provided for questions and activities.
The perfect companion to the Activity Pack for this text.
What do teachers say about this resource? (7214)
It is very detailed and informative and would certainly ensure pupils understood the play. The use of language is mostly 'teenage friendly' and would be an excellent tool for revision as well as to use while working on the text for the first time.
The character summaries are good and I like the variety of tasks and use of the debate.