Lord of the Flies: Study Guide for GCSE (first teaching 2015)
Dig deep into the plot, characterisation, language and themes of William Golding’s well-loved novel. Perfect for teenagers, the story will raise many engaging questions and introduce important literary techniques. This comprehensive resource ensures you cover every aspect in depth, with perceptive analysis and student-friendly tasks throughout.
An excellent resource... thorough and, unlike a lot of study guides, really goes into detail
- Walkthrough – Build understanding of the chosen text with insightful and relevant commentary and analysis. All chapters are concisely summarised, then examined in detail.
- Whole-text Analysis – Explores: Characterisation • Relationships • Setting • Themes • Ideas and Messages • Language • Form • Structure • Context
- Indicative Content – Ensures all key content is covered. Great support for busy teachers!
- Student-friendly plot summary
- Key term glossary
- Further reading
- Original illustrations
Woven into the analysis throughout you will find:
- Discussion prompts to encourage debate and individual interpretation
- Active learning tasks to deepen understanding
- Essay tips and questions for excellent exam practice
- Key term definitions and ‘extend your vocabulary’ boxes to ensure students grasp difficult concepts
Suggested answers are provided for questions and activities.
What do teachers say about this resource? (6904)
An excellent resource... It is great to see suggestions for further reading, clearly emphasising that although it is a set text, literature is best studied in a contextualised way, and is there to be enjoyed... The resource is thorough and, unlike a lot of study guides, really goes into detail – it is possible to get a good, rather than an average, grade if you follow this.
I really liked the resource and found it a pleasure to read. It is effectively sequenced and structured to help students break up their revision into appropriate chunks of information... My students would find it extremely beneficial for their revision... This resource is thorough and detailed, and pitched at a level that is particularly suitable for more-able students and extending the learning beyond the classroom. It effectively references the text and provides broader contextual factors and lists advanced terminology to support the subject-specific terminology aspect of the new GCSEs and higher aspects of the marking criteria.
Very good and detailed, easy to read, well summarised. Each chapter summarised for bite size revision. Includes mind maps, table summaries...