Poetry Anthology Resource Packs for GCSE AQA
Explore your chosen cluster of poems with these student-friendly packs. Visual overviews, analysis, mind maps and exam preparation lead students through each poem and theme in the GCSE AQA Poetry Anthology. Everything you need to tackle these poems in class, for homework or as revision.
Invaluable to pupils as it is so comprehensive. Wish I had this before I started teaching the poems! S Boulton, English Teacher and Independent Reviewer
1. Detailed Individual and Whole-anthology Analysis!
- Develop understanding of each poem with insightful and thorough analysis. Each poem is concisely summarised in a visual overview sheet, then investigated in depth.
- Take a broader look by exploring key themes, ideas and issues shared across the anthology.
- Key quotation analysis included throughout.
2. Effective AO Support!
- Differentiated questions to deepen understanding and encourage informed, personal responses needed to hit AO1.
- Use short comprehension questions for homework or quick-fire classwork and ‘deeper thinking’ questions to stretch and challenge high flyers!
- AO2 focused ‘Language Close-up’ and analysis – provides insight on key literary and linguistic features.
- Valuable contextual and biographical info for each poem to meet AO3 requirements.
- PLUS! ‘Link’ boxes and comparative mind maps help students discover connections and comparisons across poems.
3. Excellent Exam Prep!
- Original exam-style essay questions with indicative content – great practice for the real thing!
- Helpful exam tips and guidance so students can develop and refine exam technique.
- Suggested answers for questions and activities – makes peer- or self-marking simple.
- Includes two sample essay answers per pack with examiner commentary and AO mark-up – students find out what the examiner is looking for and how to improve their answers.
- ‘Winter Swans’ by Owen Sheers
- ‘Eden Rock’ by Charles Causley
- ‘Walking Away’ by Cecil Day Lewis
- ‘Before You Were Mine’ by Carol Ann Duffy
- ‘Mother, any distance’ by Simon Armitage
- ‘Follower’ by Seamus Heaney
- ‘Neutral Tones’ by Thomas Hardy
- ‘Letters from Yorkshire’ by Maura Dooley
- Sonnet 29 – ‘I think of thee!’ by Elizabeth Barrett Browning
- ‘Porphyria’s Lover’ by Robert Browning
- ‘The Farmer’s Bride’ by Charlotte Mew
- ‘When We Two Parted’ by Lord Byron
- GCSE AQA Poetry
- Love and Relationships
- ‘Climbing My Grandfather’ by Andrew Waterhouse
- ‘Singh Song’ by Daljit Nagra
- ‘Love’s Philosophy’ by Percy Shelley
- 'The Émigrée’ by Carol Rumens
- ‘Tissue’ by Imtiaz Dharker
- ‘War Photographer’ by Carol Ann Duffy
- ‘Checking Out Me History’ by John Agard
- ‘Storm on the Island’ by Seamus Heaney
- ‘Bayonet Charge’ by Ted Hughes
- ‘Remains’ by Simon Armitage
- ‘Poppies’ by Jane Weir
- ‘Kamikaze’ by Beatrice Garland
- ‘Exposure’ by Wilfred Owen
- ‘The Prelude’ by William Wordsworth
- ‘My Last Duchess’ by Robert Browning
- ‘The Charge of the Light Brigade’ by Alfred Lord Tennyson
- ‘Ozymandias’ by Percy Bysshe Shelley
- AQA GCSE
- modern texts and poetry
- poems past and present
- modern texts
- ‘London’ by William Blake