W Blake's Songs of Innocence and of Experience Study Guide for A Level with audio
A thorough collection of insightful A Level notes on all poems within Songs of Innocence and of Experience. Notes are interspersed with thoughtful prompts and activities for students to:
- expand their knowledge & research into Blake’s collection
- to encourage comparisons within the collection itself
- to support creative independent analysis of each poem.
Very useful, thorough analysis
This guide is designed to lead both teachers new to the poems and teachers who know the poems well towards areas of analysis that will surprise and challenge their students. Each poem has been explored using the following structure when appropriate:
- Important analysis points, such as imagery, themes, form & structure, interpretations, oppositions, and language
- Did you know? Boxes offer contextual information and/or Compare and Contrast boxes offer thoughtful prompts to exploring the poem in relation to others in the collection
- Student activities, such as analysing language techniques, comparison exercises, close-reading tasks, and comprehension questions
This resource gives me the confidence to include these [poems] in my curriculum
- Support for AQA B, OCR and WJEC Literature examinations
- A CD of the poems recorded by professional Globe actor to bring the poems to life
- Images of the engravings which are vital to the understanding and evaluation of these poems
What do teachers say about this resource? (4996)
Good for higher ability learners and teachers wanting a useful introduction. It has detailed notes on context and I like that it immediately links these to particular poems. As someone who has only ever dipped in and out of Blake, this resource gives me the confidence to include these in my curriculum. The overview in the introductory notes is particularly elucidating and the writer seems to know the topic well. There is a very real sense of passion behind the writing and it comes across as someone who genuinely finds pleasure and delight in these poems. Lots of questions as thoughtful prompts, good!
It provides a very useful, thorough analysis of the poems, one-by-one, which teachers new to teaching this text would find helpful. Liked the thorough approach to analysing each poem. It was helpful also for links to be made between certain poems. Very clear and well organised.