Great Expectations: Study Guide for GCSE (first teaching 2015)
Break down Dickens’ timeless tale into manageable pieces with this brilliantly designed resource. Students will gain an in-depth understanding of the novel and build exam skills as they go with a focus on extract analysis throughout.
A must for anyone teaching this novel... Enhances learning fantastically well – a range of tasks for varying teaching styles, abilities, groupings and specifications
- Walkthrough – Build understanding of the chosen text with insightful and relevant commentary and analysis. All chapters are concisely summarised, then examined in detail.
- Whole-text Analysis – Explores: Characterisation • Relationships • Setting • Themes • Ideas and Messages • Language • Form • Structure • Context
- Indicative Content – Ensures all key content is covered. Great support for busy teachers!
- Student-friendly plot summary
- Key term glossary
- Further reading
- Original illustrations
Woven into the analysis throughout you will find:
- Discussion prompts to encourage debate and individual interpretation
- Active learning tasks to deepen understanding
Includes suggested answers to relevant tasks.
What do teachers say about this resource? (1764)
A must for anyone teaching this novel, no matter how well you already know it. Even if you've taught this novel before, this resource is invaluable. It will enable teachers to focus on teaching rather than simply 'getting through' the novel, particularly in the tight and highly demanding time frame of the new specifications... The revision sections, weblinks and various pages on themes, settings, characters, relationships, etc. are incredibly useful for both students and teachers. The glossaries are excellent, especially for the more archaic lexis... I really liked the summaries of each chapter... These are invaluable for anyone, especially teachers new to this novel or needing a refresher, [or] absent students. The extract analyses that appear throughout are also useful exam prep, building up in stages... Enhances learning fantastically well – a range of tasks for varying teaching styles, abilities, groupings and specifications.