Theoretical Perspectives Study Guide for GCSE Media Studies
Designed for AQA, Eduqas, OCR and WJEC
Designed to introduce students to theoretical perspectives across the GCSE Media Studies specifications in a structured and friendly way.
The pack covers everything from semiotics to gender representation and gratification theory – split into three main sections:
- Theoretical Approaches to Media Language
- Theoretical Approaches to Representation
- Theoretical Approaches to Audiences
Each section includes:
Plus! Focused Revision:
- 5 essay practice questions – enable students to apply their understanding to writing tasks.
- 3 example essays with commentary – demonstrate strong application of theories and what to avoid in essay writing.
- Explanatory notes – summarised key concepts with visual examples and a glossary of terms aid students’ understanding of each theory.
- Activities – discussion prompts, further research, drawing diagrams and short essay-style questions enable thorough consolidation of knowledge.
- Extensions – more challenging reflection tasks expand understanding and allow higher-ability students to push themselves.
- Application to media texts – directly connect theories to familiar media products, contextualising theories and making them more tangible.
Keyword glossary, answers and indicative content provided.