The First Nowell
- The first Nowell, the angel did say,
Was to certain poor shepherds
In fields as they lay,
In fields where they
Lay keeping their sheep,
On a cold winter's night
That was so deep.
Nowell, Nowell, Nowell, Nowell:
Born is the King of Israel!
- They lookèd up and saw a star,
Shining in the East, beyond them far;
And to the earth it gave great light,
And so it continued both day and night.
- And by the light of that same star,
Three wise men came from country far;
To seek for a king was their intent,
And to follow the star wherever it went.
- This star drew nigh to the north-west;
O'er Bethlehem it took its rest
And there it did both stop and stay
Right over the place where Jesus lay.
- Then entered in those wise men three,
Full rev'rently upon their knee,
And offered there in His presence,
Their gold and myrrh and frankincense.
- Then let us all with one accord
Sing praises to our heavenly Lord,
That hath made heav'n
And earth of nought,
And with His blood mankind hath bought.